The giff are strong, tusken mercenaries whose entire lives are based around honor and discipline. They are proud warriors who revel in battle, regardless of the cause. A typical giff towers 8 feet in height, with broad shoulders and thick limbs to match. Giff are usually lawful neutral; non-lawful giff are considered outcasts.
The overwhelming majority of giff are fighters, though the race has plenty of rogues serving as scouts and spies. Particularly noble giff might become paladins. Due to the race’s lawful bent, barbarians and bards are virtually unknown among them.
If your game includes firearms, the giff take to them naturally, greatly appreciating the power (and volume) created by such weapons.
Giff in a Shadow Moon Campaign: The giff are visitors to this system, as they are to all systems. Most will be found serving aboard spelljamming vessels of nearly any race: As long as the pay is good and battle plentiful, most giff are happy simply to obey orders. That said, they won’t long serve a master who doesn’t treat them with respect.
Giff Racial Traits
- +4 Strength, +2 Constitution, -2 Intelligence, -2 Wisdom, . Giff are extraordinarily powerful, but not terribly bright or perceptive.
- A Giff is medium size
- Powerful Build: The physical stature of giffs lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category larger. Whenever a giff is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for a Combat Maneuver Bonus or Combat Maneuver Defense (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), the giff is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to him. A giff is also considered to be one size larger when determining whether a creature’s special attacks based on size (such as grab or swallow whole) can affect him. A giff can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty. However, his space and reach remain those of a creature of his actual size. The benefts of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject’s size category.
- Giff base speed is 30 feet.
- Natural Armor: Giff have a +3 natural armor bonus.
- Head-Butt: A giff can deliver a head-butt dealing 1d8 points of damage plus one and one-half his Strength bonus, or strength mod when used as a secondary attack.
- Firearm Proficiency: Giff are proficient with a single firearm of their choice.
- Malfunctioning Magic: The giff’s resistance to magic extends even to magic items worn or used by the giff. Any magic item activated via spell completion (such as scrolls), spell trigger (such as wands and staffs), or a command word or mental activation (such as a ring of invisibility) has a 10% chance of simply not functioning when activated by a giff. Thus, most giff stick to magic items that don’t require such activation, such as weapons, armor, potions, and the like.
- Automatic Languages: Common and Giff. Bonus Languages: Dwarven, Elven, Dowhar, Scro, Undercommon and Orc. Giff find it useful to know the languages of their enemies…or their employers.