Grommams are peaceful, forest-dwelling gorillalike humanoids with a close-knit, highly religious society. They have dark brown skin and short, coppery hair over their entire bodies except on their faces, palms, and soles. They communicate by means of body language and a range of vocal hoots and growls.
Male and female grommams have very different roles in their society. The males perform the heavy labor and defend the home, while the females deal with domestic and political matters, as well as oversee the grommams’ religious lives.
Grommams in a Shadow Moon Campaign: The grommams are native to a relatively small region of the jungle world Verdura, where they must struggle to survive against the deadly reptilian fauna common to that world—including their hated enemies, the yuan-ti.
Grommam Racial Traits
- +2 Strength, +2 Dexterity, -2 Intelligence, (male); +2 Intelligence, +2 Wisdom, -2 Strength, (female). Male grommams are agile and strong, but less intellectually oriented than the females, who conversely are less physically powerful.
- Medium-size: As Medium-size creatures, grommams have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Grommam base speed is 20 feet, whether walking or climbing. Their natural climb speed grants them a +8 bonus to Climb checks.
- +2 racial bonus on perception checks. Grommams have keen ears, and are capable of distinguishing a wide variety of sounds.
- Ambidextrous: Grommams get Two Weapon Fighting as a bonus feat.
- Large Weapon Use: A grommam’s build allows it to wield weapons as if it were a Large creature. For instance, a grommam can wield a human greatsword (a Large weapon) in one-hand, and can wield a Medium-size weapon, such as a battleaxe, as if it were a light weapon.
- Unusual Body Shape: The grommam’s barrel chest, short legs, and long arms require them to wear armor specially fitted to them. Such armor costs twice the normal list price.
- Malfunctioning Magic: Grommams are innately anti-magical. Any magic item activated via command word or mental activation (such as a ring of invisibility) has a 40% chance of simply not functioning when activated by a grommam. Thus, most grommams stick to magic items that don’t require such activation, such as weapons, armor, potions, and the like. Grommams also suffer a -6 penalty to Use Magic Device checks.