The gnomes of wildspace are tinkers, inventors, and alchemists. They are descendants of the tinker gnomes of Krynn who expanded into wildspace many centuries ago. They can now be found everywhere in the Known Spheres, much to the distress of every other race. Wildspace gnomes are most (in)famous for a love of mechanical devices with many bells, whistles, and make much noise and usually do little or nothing at all.
Personality: Wildspace gnomes are inventive and creative, enthusiastically pursing a life goal to explore the limits of science and technology. The fact that their inventions most often fall apart, fail to work, or explode spectacularly does nothing to dampen their spirits. A gnome works and thinks hard and fast, often speaking so fast that its nearly impossible for other races to keep up.
Physical Description: Gnomes are about 3 feet tall and weigh 45 to 50 pounds, with almost no difference between the sexes. Gnomes have brown skin and black, brown, or most often white hair. Their eyes are blue or violet in color. They are stocky but nimble, spending their lives deftly darting through their machines and avoiding moving parts and flying shrapnel. Gnomes often appear quite disheveled as they do not have time for personal hygiene. They wear simple clothes with aprons with many pockets and tool hoops, as well as large, heavy tool belts. A gnome is never seen without several dozen strange-looking tools and devices.
Gnomes speak very rapidly, but because they must include every conceivable detail in their run-on sentences, it actually takes much longer for two gnomes to have a conversation than other races on the same subject. When talking to other races, gnomes must forcibly slow down the rate of their own speech, sounding like an adult talking to a very young and dumb child, which is how they view those that cannot keep pace with them.
Relations: Gnomes have nothing against any race and get along with everyone else, for their part. Other races distrust and dislike the little tinkers, as their machines have a habit of exploding unexpectedly. For some, the worst crime ever committed by the gnomish race was the unleashing of the Giant Space Hamsters upon an unsuspecting universe. As a result, gnomes often face imprisonment on trumped up or false charges when in non-gnomish ports. Most races simply wish the gnomes would go away.
Alignment: Gnomes are neutral, rarely concerning themselves with the matters of good or evil. They have, in theory, an extensive set of laws but are the final draft of these laws have been in committee for the last several centuries, and show no signs of ever seeing the light of day.
Wildspace Gnome Lands: Wildspace gnomes can be found in small enclaves in most major ports in addition to settling colonies of their own. Gnomes prefer small, iron-rich asteroids and minor planets without any native races, where they can invent and create in peace. Gnome colonies are marked by the abandoned wrecks of past gnomish invention and vast ranches of giant space hamsters.
Religion: Gnomes worship Reorx, a forge-god from the world Krynn. Since arriving in wildspace, some gnomes have adopted other gnomish gods and a few human gods as well. As such, small shrines to Garl Glittergold, Baravar Cloakshadow, Gond, Hephaistos, and Flandal Steelskin can be found in gnomish ports.
Language: Gnomes speak Common, but at such a rapid pace that non-gnomes cannot keep up. Their vocabulary includes many technical and scientific terms that are meaningless to all but gnomes. However, gnomes do have a universal word that sends every non-gnome in earshot fleeing in terror: oops.
Names: All gnomes have a given name, which details their linage all the way back to the first gnomes, which results in a name that can take hours or even days to say. When working with other races, gnomes adopt a shorter nickname, most often the first few syllables of the gnome’s name. Gnomes find these nicknames a bit undignified, but find them a little “charming”.
Male Names: Chokablock, Dyffed, Jaget, Meriado, Miggens, Naddeer, Richie, Walfrid, Zindig
Female Names: Dana, Gliich, Lotus, Marjoritops, Ratchet, Wegrecks
Guilds: Aerodynamics, Architecture, Astronomy, Biology, Chemistry, Communication, Defense, Hydrodynamics, Kinetics, Spelljamdynamics, Thermodynamics, Transportation, Zoology
Adventurers: Gnomes in space represent the boldest and most daring of their race. It is their duty to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no gnome has ever gone before. Thus it is not uncommon to find gnome adventurers hanging out with non-gnomes and in favorite adventurer watering spots, hoping to find those people brave (or stupid!) enough to help them further the limits of gnome knowledge.
Wildspace Gnome Racial Traits
Wildspace gnomes have the following racial traits:
- +2 Dexterity, +2 Intelligence, -2 Strength. Gnomes have a sharp mind are nimble and fleet of foot but weaker than other races.
- Small: As a Small creature, a gnome gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but he uses smaller weapons than humans use, and his lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
- Gnome base land speed is 20 feet.
- Curious: +2 racial bonus to one Knowledge and one craft skill of the gnome’s choice: gnomes spend much of their childhood in study.
- Sharp Ears: A tinker gnome gains a +2 on perception checks due to their sharp ears.
- Weapon Familiarity: Tinker Gnomes gain proficiency in all firearms and all weapons with the word gnome in them. They are proficient with all weapons they personally craft.
- Low-Light Vision: A tinker gnome can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. He retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
- Spell-Like Ability: A tinker gnome with an Int of at least 10 has access to the following SLA’s once per day: Mending, Make Whole, Open, Prestidigitation
- Automatic Languages: Common and Gnome. Bonus Languages: Dwarven, Elven, Halfling, Orc. Gnomes pick up a number of languages in their travels around wildspace.